As every traveller may know, there are two main aspects that have to be planned before going on adventure; transportation and lodging. Some may say that is also important to plan where to go, where to it, how to move around the place we are visiting and so on. But while you can improvise with the latter things (in fact, you can enjoy far more when not everything is planned), it is not very advisable to do it with the former, especially if you travel during holidays or if the place you are visiting always crowded or has very few lodgings.
Nowadays it is also very difficult to find cheap and good options for transportation if you don’t book your tickets in advance. That depends on destinies and dates, but you will hardly find the plane ticket you want if you try to buy it with less than a month before your trip.
When planning your trip, you have plenty of choices regarding transportation and lodging. Some travellers prefer to save as much as they can in transportation, especially when it comes to plane tickets. They use those savings to pay a nice and comfortable lodge, may it be a cosy bed and breakfast in Dublin or one of the five stars “hoteles en Zihuatanejo” (just thought about that because in went to those places on my last two trips).
I have also met people who don’t care much about staying at an all-inclusive hotel, with the best services and facilities. They say that it makes no sense to pay for such luxuries, if you intend to spend much of your time outside, going to interesting and beautiful places in the city that you decided to visit.
That sounds really logic to me. You don’t need spa, room service or TV with cable if you plan only to sleep, have showers and breakfast and keep your things safe at the hotel. Nevertheless, if your lodging has a very poor quality, it can really keep you from totally enjoying your trip.
Here are some ways in which a bad hotel can ruin your vacations:
- It is surrounded by bars and night clubs. That sounds great if you love to party, but definitely not good if you actually plan to sleep.
- The quarter where it is located is not very safe. Even if the lodging has a good surveillance, an unsafe environment will discourage you from going out at night or staying out late when you are really enjoying.
- It has not a good hygiene. Don’t panic, but flees, bugs and other plagues and deceases can actually be gotten at an unhygienic lodging.
- Nothing works properly at the facilities. Imagine having a cold shower during your winter vacations or no shower at all during a summer heatwave. Those and other terrible things can happen if the place where you stay is about to fall apart.
- The staff is rude or inefficient. Probably you will have very few occasions to deal with the hotel staff but it is really discouraging when you need something to be done or solved and you just don’t get any help.
Luckily, you don’t have to spend a great amount to avoid those and other problems. There are plenty of affordable options; you just need to do some research.